-->


passe







God exists quietly.

When I sit still and contemplate
the breeze that moves upon me
I can hear Him.

For hours I would lay
flat upon the meadows,
stare at the endless field of blue sky
and revel in the divine placement of all things.

I would walk alone
in the woods
and let my mind wander freely,
stumble across theories
on the origins of myself and all things.

In nature I knew all things had their place.
None supreme, none insignificant
and so great peace would come to me
as I fit neatly in the folds
between dawn and twilight.

Living in sync with the rhythm of the earth,
eating what we grew,
warming ourselves by the coal fire,
creating myself in the vast silence that
existed between the wild mountains of Alaska
and our front porch.

I grew to love the Nature of God.
I knew Him best not in churches,
but alone with the sun
shining on me through the trees.

It birthed a space in me
that would continue to crave the sacred
and demand sanctity
as my life took flight
and lit out to travel the world.

It has grounded me
and held me steady
in the strong winds that have carried me
so far from where I have been.

Prayer is the greatest swiftest ship
my heart could sail upon.

- Jewel